Skip to main content

tv   Larry King Live  CNN  January 4, 2011 12:00am-1:00am EST

12:00 am
life is unpredictable, eat dessert first. >> exactly! >> max, thanks so much for being with us. that's awesomely fascinating. >> anytime you can awesomely fascinate kathleen parker, you're doing well. >> you've accomplished that. thanks, max. be sure to join us tomorrow night. >> good night from new york. anderson cooper starts right now. so welcome to a special edition of "360." tonight, a man quite at home on the hot seat. michael moore sounds off on the republican vow to undo health care reform. his financial support of wikileaks founder, julian assange. and what's up with all those dead birds flying out of the sky in arkansas? also ahead, politics family style. the father/son team who are sharing the same condo. doctors ron and rand paul discuss their expectations for the new republican-controlled congress and what it's like for a 75-year-old dad and his
12:01 am
47-year-old son to suddenly be living together under the same roof again. and later, what you don't know about piers morgan, who will take over this time slot in two weeks. so, yeah, i'm basically filling his slot for two weeks until piers morgans gets his act together and gets his show on the air. but first, joining us right now is mike moore, director of four of the highest grossing documentaries of all time. michael, i appreciate you being on this temporary show. >> i'm the first guest on your new show that will last only two weeks. so i'm honored. thank you for having me. >> yes. we were saying right before the break, i want one of those gigs where you get the job and you don't have to start for several months. >> yeah. he must have -- piers must have a great agent. because it just -- i don't know what it is. i remember, like, when you got a better job at burger king, you said to taco bell, i got to go. you know, i'll work through the holidays, but starting after new
12:02 am
year's, i've got to go over here to burger king. >> watch what you say, because he's big on the twitter now, and he's picking fights with people left and right on twitter. so, you know, he might get you in his sights. >> oh -- uh-oh. well, like i said, piers, you know, welcome to america. >> let's talk some serious stuff. a lot of buzz about the incoming republican class. obviously includes a lot of tea party members. questions about how they're going to impact washington. lindsey graham had this to say on nbc's "meet the press" yesterday. i want to play this. >> i hope the tea party will come to washington and change the whole dynamic that led to this fiscal mess we're in, starting with spending. >> it's interesting, because graham said the tea party last summer, he said they were unsustainable and would die out. clearly, seems to have changed his mind. >> yeah, something -- something must have been put into his tea. hey, i got a news flash for the tea party, and for the republicans in general, you're not going to get anywhere.
12:03 am
nothing's going to happen. >> you don't think anything's going to get done? >> absolutely not. they can't do anything. they -- first of all, they don't have a veto -- enough members in the house to override a veto. and they don't have the senate. for them to get anything passed through the senate, they would -- playing by their old rules where 50 is the new 60 -- they need 17 democrats to come over to their -- sorry, 13, 13 democrats. right, they've got 47 now. so they'll need 13 democrats to start acting and voting like republicans. which, you know, i understand i wouldn't put it past a certain number of democrats to do that. but they won't get 13. so nothing's going to happen in the senate. they can do all they want in the house. they're not going to get anywhere with it. anything that they've told their constituents back home about how they're going to get rid of the obamacare health bill, that's not going to happen.
12:04 am
>> you don't think that's going to happen, because they're talking about taking it apart, piece by piece. >> how are they going to do that? with what? there's 53 democrats in the senate. so clearly, they're just going to be there to cause whatever ruckus they want to cause. and frankly, they're going to provide a lot of entertainment for the planet earth. because, actually, there is -- actually, anderson, there is actually nowhere else on earth where there is a thing like our republican party. in most countries, the conservative party is more like our democrats. and in these other countries, our republicans are like the people that are still living in their parents' basement. so it's really a kind of weird group of people. and i don't think they're going to get anything done, because -- >> well, do you think democrats are going to get anything done? >> -- they are against the course of history. not going to get anything done, no. because it's 2011. they think it's 1911, all right?
12:05 am
they want to turn the clock back, get rid of social security, get rid of unemployment benefits, get rid of medicare, get rid of social -- all these things. and actually, the wave of progress is against them. >> but do you think -- but you think democrats will be able to get anything done? >> oh, the democrats. no, they won't get anything done either, but that's what they're -- that's kind of what they you know -- listen, you know what, they'll get some things done, but they won't be able to get anything through the house. so the question really is, what are you going to do to fill an hour of your show every night for the next two years. >> well, what are you doing for the next two weeks? >> uh, hey, i'm only here to celebrate the new year's with you and to help you recover from kathy griffith. i'm not a pundit, so i will not be occupying that chair -- >> i'm still drenched in sweat from standing next to her in the freezing cold and being nervous next to her for an hour and a half on live television.
12:06 am
>> and all of america admires you for that. >> another issue republicans are taking aim at is birthright. you have congressman king, he's arguing it's created a loophole in the 14th amendment and it's caused an epidemic of what they're calling anchor babies. >> yeah, babies where the mothers come in and kind of squat and drop a baby here in the united states, it's a big problem. but i think the legislation that they're proposing is actually quite unclear. you know, as the mother is coming across the bridge reynosa, from reynosa into texas, you know, exactly what constitutes birth? if just the crown of the head is showing, if she's halfway across the bridge, will that baby be an american citizen? does the baby actually have to come out once it gets across the bridge, or is it when the cord is cut? i mean, i'm confused by exactly the point they're trying to make, but i think the big birth
12:07 am
thing that they're going to be concerned about is they want to find out what town in kenya president obama was born in. so i'm looking forward to that. >> does it surprise you that there are still so many -- such a large part of the country -- you look at polls, there's a large percentage. it's not a majority by any means, but something in the area of above 20%, i think, i can't remember the last poll that i looked at, that don't believe that president obama was born in the united states of america. >> right. and i think -- what was the poll that said 24% of republicans believe that president obama may be the antichrist. so, yeah -- so, yes, there are -- >> what do you think's at the core of that? >> mental illness? i don't know? it's so weird, it's like when they dig up tapes of this show 100 years from now, they'll be surprised that you and i were actually trying to have a serious discussion about it.
12:08 am
>> because i've interviewed a lot of people about who are -- seem like good -- i interviewed a state representative, leo berman, seemed like a good guy, served his country honorably in the military, and what he says on this issue is factual incorrect, and seems like a good guy, but is sticking to things that are factually incorrect. >> right. you have to be sensitive and understanding of some of these people because it's difficult for them to accept that a black man is president of the united states. >> you really think it's about race? >> oh, yeah. i think a lot of this has been about race. when darrell issa goes on television and says this is the most corrupt president we've ever had, i mean, are you serious? >> well, he's backtracked from that now. he's saying the administration -- >> yeah. >> -- and things that they have done, and having the majority leads to corruption.
12:09 am
>> but even that -- yeah, even -- well, he said what he meant. and even calling -- even saying it was the administration, basically, their point is is that they came unglued by this man winning the presidency. and while there are things you can say about president obama, that you wish he was this, that, or the other. boy, i'll tell you, one of the things that would be -- i just can't imagine people thinking that -- or saying something to the effect that he or his administration is the most corrupt ever. i mean, that's just like -- >> but how can you say they're obsessed on race? that seems like a cheap shot, you know? >> yeah, kind of just seems like i've lived in this country for over 50 years, okay? so i'm an american, i know where i live, and you know, it's not like i woke up yesterday. i'm sorry they feel that way. because the reason why is when you ask them, and you have asked them for specific reasons, what
12:10 am
comes out is not evidence or facts. what comes out is this spewing of insanity, that he wasn't born here -- >> you're talking about birthers? >> that he's the anti-christ. yes. or, actually, a lot of republicans talking about him being a socialist or a communist. these crazy-making things that just, like, why go there unless you're really twisted about something that you're not really telling us about. and why don't you just really tell us. if one of them would just come on and say it, i, frankly, wouldn't be in too much of an uproar about it. i would say, wow, there's an honest conservative. who just can't stand what's going on. >> but isn't that -- it's an easy thing to accuse somebody of racism. you know, unless you have actual, specific proof, it's one of those things, you can't defend yourself against it. >> yeah. i know. it's just kind of a gut feeling
12:11 am
when i see a bunch of white people get together, getting that angry and upset about something, it -- you know, i don't know. i think that -- i just think that we still have a big problem with race in this country. a lot of would rather not talk about it, because we'd like to believe it's better. it is better. it's certainly better than when we were younger. but we've got a long ways to go. and i think that president carter was right when he first brought this up, and he was one of the first to say it. i think it was a brave thing to say, and i don't mind repeating it. >> michael moore, we're going to talk to you right after this break. we're going to get michael's take on a lot more. we'll be right back. also, later, father and son congressman rand and ron paul join us. is they talk about keeping it all in the family. are there issues that you guys totally disagree on? is there one issue that you fundamentally disagree on? >> we agree not to talk about that. we say, it's the new year's, and
12:12 am
i'm staying at his house. how can i get into a war with my dad on tv if i have to come over for dinner tonight? she felt lost... until the combination of three good probiotics in phillips' colon health defended against the bad gas, diarrhea and constipation. ...and? it helped balance her colon. oh, now that's the best part. i love your work. [ female announcer ] phillips' colon health.
12:13 am
12:14 am
12:15 am
welcome back to this special edition of "360." michael moore is with us from traverse city, michigan. and later we'll talk to ron and rand paul. we were talking about congressman darrell issa. i want to play what he said specifically about the remarks where he clarified. previously, he had said that he'd called president obama one of the most corrupt presidents in modern times. how he now clarifies it. >> in saying that this is one of the most corrupt administrations, which is what i meant to say there, when you hand out $1 trillion in t.a.r.p., just before this president came in, most of it unspent, $1 trillion nearly in stimulus that this president asked for, plus this huge expansion in health care and government, it has a corrupting effect. when i look at waste, fraud, and abuse in the brock and i in the government, this is like steroids to pump up the muscles of waste. >> so just to push back on what
12:16 am
you said about race, i mean, how can you say that race underpins what he's saying? because, basically, whether you disagree or agree with what he's saying, he's making an argument about the amount that government is spending and that's what those comments were based on. >> now, he's not saying the government's spending. we know the government's spending. he's saying he knows it's a corrupt administration, simply because it was spending money to help its citizens. that is the most outrageous, crazy statement to make, and he didn't make it any better, as far as i'm concerned, with what he said there. i'll tell you, those republicans, and mr. issa in particular, have got big cajons to go on any tv show and talk about corruption after what we went through with eight years of the george w. bush administration. talk about corrupt. talk about leading us into a war based on a corrupt, false idea, that now is going to cost us at
12:17 am
least, in the long run, what they're predicting, $3 trillion, that has helped to bankrupt this country. and to let the rich off so that they don't have to pay for the war that they were supposedly going to benefit from -- >> you think we should get out of afghanistan now? >> absolutely. oh, -- yes. i mean, it's clear that it's not working. it's clear -- in fact, the pentagon has admitted, there's only about 50 -- that's 5-0 -- al qaeda left in afghanistan. why are we risking the lives of our sons and daughters for 50 al qaeda in afghanistan? that's something you sent the new york city police in to take care of, not have 100,000 of our troops in there, risking their lives every day. and they don't know what to do about this. the taliban is still very much present. the taliban's not some extrnl force. those are afghan civilians --
12:18 am
>> well, there's taliban in afghanistan and pakistan, there's different kinds and different factions -- >> right, yes. right. as i am want to point out now, we are involved in at least six wars in this country. iraq, afghanistan, pakistan, yemen, the horn of africa, and colombia. we are using our military forces in these countries to commit -- commit to military actions, and sometimes killing the people of these country. and somehow we think they're not wars. we have got to get it together here, pull these troops home, and have the focus be on fixing this country. we're in deep, deep trouble. >> is it -- in colombia, for instance where we're assisting the government against the farc, which are narco-traffickers, guerillas, you think that's a war? you define that as a war?
12:19 am
>> yes, of course -- yes, it's a literal war on drugs. not the phony war that has locked up, you know, a million or so of our citizens in this country. yes, when you use your military to go in and commit military actions, it's called a war. that used to be called a war. but in the new lingo, we don't call it that anymore, but that's exactly what's going on. and i don't want this being done in my name. i don't want my money being spent on this. and i think the majority of americans feel this way too. and so i would hope that president obama would start to pull these troops out of these areas and focus on real security issues in dealing with the terrorism that they claim is being committed by people in afghanistan. they're not in afghanistan anymore. this is absolutely crazy. >> a little bit later on i talk to ron and rand paul, and congressman paul, one of the things i asked him about is the war in afghanistan. he's for pulling troops out. he says he doesn't buy vice
12:20 am
president biden who says we'll be out of afghanistan three years from now come hell or high water. do you believe vice president biden? >> no. i don't believe their intention is to leave either iraq or afghanistan in any due course. >> you think they're lying? >> you know, until the people speak out -- pardon me? >> do you think the obama administration's lying, or the president's lying about it or just fooling himself? >> maybe a little bit of that, maybe his heart's in the right place, and when push comes to shove, i'm not hopeful about how he's going to respond. but he's surprised me before and he's, you know, he's done a lot of good things and taken good positions on things, so perhaps that will happen in this case. >> we're going to talk more with michael moore right after the break. later, pierce morgan and his new show debuts in two weeks here on cnn. we also have ron and rand paul coming up shortly. we'll be right back. her first home loan,o and this is her sister tina,
12:21 am
who i also helped do her first home loan. it was unbelievable how well it all fell together. kathy said, "well, let me give you rachel's number." easy. easy. easy. the whole loan process was simple and convenient! that's why i love quicken loans! [ male announcer ] and you'll be glad to know j.d. power and associates ranks quicken loans "highest in customer satisfaction." to learn more call 800-quicken or visit us at quickenloans.com. but these days you need more than the book. you need website development,
12:22 am
1-on-1 marketing advice, search-engine marketing, and direct mail. yellowbook's got all of that. yellowbook360's got a whole spectrum of tools. tools that are going to spark some real connections. visit yellowbook360.com and go beyond yellow.
12:23 am
12:24 am
and we're back with michael moore, who's in traverse city, michigan. michael, why do you think president obama's approval rating is now on the rise? i think it's at about 50% at the last gallup poll, the highest it's been since june. >> because the last couple of weeks of this past congressional session, things started to click. and things started to get done. and people like to see the leader leading. and they like to see the democrats have a spine and start fighting for some things. and so a number of things that people thought were lost causes, don't ask, don't tell, the 9/11 workers, the responders, health care, suddenly, became the law of the land. and it was just like, wow, that's what can happen when these guys start to fight.
12:25 am
and i think coming into this new year and into this new session, people that voted for him, that's the majority of the country, and certainly democrats and liberals, people on the left, really want him and the democrats to come charging through those doors here in the next couple of days and fight for these things that we elected them to do. >> but those things -- those two things that you cite, don't ask, don't tell and the 9/11 bill, that only got done after making a deal extending the bush tax cuts for another two years across all levels. do you think that for the next two years, then, the message for president obama is that compromise is key? that he's got to do what bill clinton did in '94 after getting hurt? >> i don't think, first of all, those two things were necessarily connected in terms of the so-called compromise. i'm disappointed that he allowed the bush tax cuts for the rich to go through.
12:26 am
it was very interesting to see the cbs news poll report during the last day or so, showing that 61%, 61% of the american public, is in favor of taxing the rich, to help take care of the deficit, and 20% -- the next 20%, their top priority would be to cut the defense budget. so i think that -- i hope that they're paying attention to what the majority of americans really want, and not listening just to who is the loudest here, the squeaky wheel of the tea party. they do not represent the majority of opinion in this country. >> would you possibly support a primary challenge to president obama? >> no, i wouldn't say that right now. but i would leave -- i'm a citizen of this country. and i'm going to -- i would leave any possible door open, if he -- let's say president obama decides to increase the war in afghanistan, as opposed to pulling the troops back. let's say that president obama
12:27 am
continues to allow wall street to go about their merry way, and that causes another collapse. any of a number of things could happen, where a lot of people are going to say, okay, listen, you didn't do the job we expected you to do, now something's going to have to happen. so, yes, it's likely there could be a primary challenge, likely there could be a third party challenge, likely there could be a fourth party challenge. because the republicans are going to have their own fight and they may have two separate camps running someone for president. >> do you think sarah palin could run? >> pardon? >> do you think sarah palin will run? >> do i think she could run? we haven't spoken since hanukkah, so i don't know. >> if she asked you to direct one of her alaska reality show episodes or her travel show episodes, would you? >> oh, -- i'd be there in an instant! i'd have a lot of fun with that. and so if the good people at the discovery channel are watching and need a director, i'm here.
12:28 am
>> obviously, you know, it's interesting, you look at what's going on on wall street and the big numbers on wall street and it looks like there's a recovery there and then you look at the job numbers, and there's no recovery there. you're in michigan, how do you bring back jobs in michigan? >> well, you know, i am here. and i'll tell you, we've really suffered a really bad depression right now. we're still, i think the unofficial unemployment rate is probably around 20%. up here in northern michigan, it's pretty bad. and so i'm doing what i can -- i've actually been pushing them up here to appoint some jobs ga ambassadors. i may just appoint myself. because i really want to spend a good chunk of this year encouraging businesses to start coming to michigan. people here are so in want of a job, they will work their butts
12:29 am
off to have good employment here, good middle class jobs. and there's so much talent here. we live in this incredible state of michigan, that gave the world all these inventions. i mean, thomas edison grew up in port huron, michigan. henry ford from dearborn. there's a guy from battle creek that got everybody to eat breakfast, mr. kellogg. this is the state. i mean, berry gordy and motown. there's always been so much creativity here. and it's such a great place to come and to live and to base your business. so i hope that i can do my part. yeah, that's -- i don't know if they were going to give me a portfolio, because we have a republican governor now, but i just think, i'm just going to kind of be a rogue sort of ambassador to bring some jobs here, because i can't stand, frankly, being here and watching so many people suffer as a
12:30 am
result of the high unemployment. >> and folks in michigan know how to work hard and want to do it. very briefly, we've got to run, but what do you make of all these birds falling out of the sky in arkansas? >> i shouldn't laugh at all the birds -- i'm sorry for all the animal lovers -- i mean, i'm one of them. >> bizarre, though. >> my first thought is, when it happened, i thought that the birds were michigan and michigan state football fans who after the bowl games this weekend just decided to end it all. but frankly, it's probably -- they're from arkansas, right, the birds? >> right, yeah. >> so mr. huckabeeprobably -- you know, they said huckabee's support had gone to the birds, but now the birds have gone. so i don't know. bad sign. >> they say maybe lightning, maybe fireworks related, because it all happened right on new year's. >> i think we all need to tune into the premiere episode of "v" on abc tomorrow night at 8:00 p.m., and i think those aliens
12:31 am
will provide the answers for us. >> i was offended, because one of the actors on "v" said he modeled himself after me, he played the cheesy reporter. i was like, really, thanks, i appreciate that. >> did he say "cheesy"? listen, i oppose that, i'm sorry he said that, cnn, you know, get -- let anderson do his job and get piers morgan out of taco bell and on this network. >> you're starting a twitter war with piers morgan. i can see it tomorrow. michael moore, i appreciate your time. thank you. >> thanks, anderson. still ahead on this special edition of "360," the things you need to know about piers morgan. he starts in two weeks. he calls himself the pig guy, his words. he explains. coming up, joe johns with the "360 bulletin" coming up next. >> in new york, four sanitation supervisors assigned to clean up after last week's blizzard bought beer and sat in their car. meantime, a city councilman says he's seen reports that over 400
12:32 am
sanitation workers called in sick after the storm hit the day after christmas. he also claims the slow response was due to the snow protest by the workers. the union leader for the workers denies that allegation. the big concern now is the trash that's been left on the streets for days because sanitation crews have been cleaning up the snow instead. but finally today, some trash was picked up. to illinois, where authorities believe they found the body of a woman who walked away from a car crash that killed her husband. poor weather forced investigators to suspend the search for the woman with on december 8th. and what's old is new again in california. jerry brown is once again the governor of the state, seceding arnold schwarzenegger. he held the job from 1975 to 1983. brown's father was governor of california from 1959 to 1967. several other states, including nevada, wyoming, and wisconsin
12:33 am
swore in new governors today. anderson? >> joe, thanks very much. up next, my conversation with congressman ron paul and his son, senator-elect, rand paul. congressman paul, the last time i read, i think you were asked this question, you said there was about a 50/50 chance you might be running for president again in 2012. are those odds still about where you'd put it? we'll have his answer, just ahead. introduces a new windows phone with an irresistible full key... oh, too much? now get an lg quantum™ for only $99.99. only from at&t. rethink possible. now get an lg quantum™ for only $99.99. ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ [ dance beat ]
12:34 am
♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ ♪ ooh, ah la, la, la ♪ [ male announcer ] join theladders.com. we don't just post the $100k+ jobs. we give you the tools and guidance you need to be irresistible. ♪ ooh, ah i'm a teenage girl. [ cellphone beeps ] my bff becky texts and says she's kissed johnny. well, that's a problem 'cause i like johnny. now i'm emotionally compromised, and... woopsies! [ tires screech ] i'm all omg. becky's not even hot. and if you've got cut-rate insurance, you could be payin' for this yourself. so get allstate. you could save money and be better protected from mayhem like me. [ tires screech ] [ dennis ] dollar for dollar nobody protects you from mayhem like allstate.
12:35 am
12:36 am
well, the 12th congress convenes this week. among the members is rand paul, the junior senator from kentucky. during his campaign, he was a tea party favorite, probably the biggest tea party candidate, the most well known who got into office. and although he's certainly his
12:37 am
own man, rand paul is following in his father's footsteps. congressman ron paul is a longtime texas republican. i had a chance to sit down with both men. i asked them about their new roirts, where republicans will control the house and democrats will have a smaller majority in the senate. senator-elect paul, you're part of this new wave of republicans taking power now. probably the best-known tea party candidate. what's the number one item on your agenda? >> that we have to balance the budget and we need to do so by cutting spending. and i think that's the message, the number one message from the tea party. >> there's been a lot of talk about cutting spending and reducing deficits. not a lot of specifics. dr. paul, you're really one of the few republicans i've heard say point-blank, there needs to be cut in defense. where do you see cutting in self-defense, senator-elect? >> well, some people have pointed out that in the defense budget, we have about 40% overhead, and we require our defense contractors to only have 15% overhead. so some have said there's a lot
12:38 am
of middle management that could be cut in the military department. there are weapons systems we need to look at and see if there are work projects or if we need them for the defense of our country, but they say that the middle management in the military now is as big as it was in world war ii, when we had 15 million soldiers, and now we have 3 million soldiers. we have a lot of things left over from 40 and 50 years ago that i think we could streamline in the military. >> why do you think it is so few people are actually willing to say we need to cut defense. even those who say we need to cut across the board, when you try to pin them down on, well, do you also mean defense, they get kind of cagey on it. why is that? >> well, i think it's ultimately the compromise we have to have. because you've always had conservatives who say cut domestic spending and have always had liberal who is say, cut the military budget, but what we really need is the compromise that conservatives and liberals need to get together and say, it's not that the emperor has no clothes, it's that the emperor has no money. we've got to do something.
12:39 am
>> congressman paul, in terms of defense cuts, i mean, you indicated, basically, ending the wars in afghanistan, getting troops out of iraq. is that required in order to really, truly cut defense spending? >> yes, i'd come home from afghanistan, iraq, the middle east, germany, korea, japan and you could have a transition period for some of these entitle problems that we have at home. basically, i want to get rid of all of those two, but i would start with all this overseas spending with, and i think we could work our way out. >> congressman paul, vice president biden has said we'll be out of afghanistan, pulling troops out of in three years come hell or high water. do you buy that, a. and b, do you think it should be happening right now? >> it should happen right now. it's not going to happen then. they're always telling us that. they're not going to leave iraq. why would they be building all these military bases and building $1 billion embassies in pakistan, afghanistan, and iraq? i mean, they have no intention
12:40 am
on leaving and the people know that. that's why they hate our guts. and that's why they're disgusted and that's why we're bankrupt. because, you know, war is the health of the state. anyone who wants small government, conservatives and constitutional liberals, they have to understand that when you have war, you can justify about anything. >> senator paul, on the campaign trail, you didn't talk much about the war. is it worth it? do you agree with your dad? >> well, i think when you look at it, one way of looking at it is, when you look at the troop presence we had after world war ii in europe, and you say, how large was the presence compared to how big the enemy was, now we look at how big the enemy is in afghanistan. they're saying less than 100 al qaeda fighters. do we need 100,000 fighters to stop 100 people, or would there be a way that a small base there for a year or two of 5,000 to 10,000 soldiers no longer patrolling the streets, no longer patrolling the remote
12:41 am
provinces could be a way of keeping some stability without having a large scale land war there. the other question is, is having too large scale land wars like iraq and afghanistan, do you detract from being nimble enough to really be looking for the threats of terrorism that are really global and not in just one or two places. still ahead on this special edition of "360," i go one on one with piers morgan, whose new program, "piers morgan tonight" debuts in two week here is on cnn. so what's he all about? is he really known as the pig guy? >> i judge pigs now in "britain's got talent" and "america's got talent." so when a pig comes out now, i'm like, okay, i'm your man. i'm the pig guy. .. do you even have a name? well, it doesn't matter. because it's about to change. there's a cheaper, cleaner way to fuel up now. the volt plugs into any socket, and fuels up at home. sure it could use gas, but for most commutes you won't need much, if any.
12:42 am
so from now on, fuel tube... we'll just call you...plan b. the 2011 chevrolet volt. it's more car than electric. ♪ but i really love my bank ♪ i hate-- didn't quite catch that last bit. i said i really love my bank. right... is there a problem ? it's not really raging, man. uh, we were hoping for more raging ?
12:43 am
well, you said write from the heart. yeah... don't do that. at ally, you'll love our online savings account. named the best of 2010 by money magazine. ally. do you love your bank ?
12:44 am
12:45 am
welcome back, as i continue my conversation with congressman ron paul of texas and his son, senator-elect rand paul of kentucky. they report to work on wednesday when the 112th congress gets under way. when he's working, he'll be living with his dad. they're going to share congressman ron paul's condominium in virginia. i asked them about their relationship and if congressman paul may make another bid for the white house. are there issues that you guys totally disagree on. is there one issue that you fundamentally disagree on? >> we agree not to talk about that. we say it's a new year's and i'm staying at his house. how can i get into a war with my dad on tv if i have to come over for dinner tonight? >> have you ever -- anderson, let me ask you a question. i know i'm not allowed to ask a question, but have you ever met two people who agreed on everything? you know, my wife doesn't agree with me on all my policies either. >> well, congressman paul, i've heard you say that when your son
12:46 am
-- that rand, of all your kids, was the one who kind of gave you the most pushback when he was younger. is that true? >> oh, yeah, because he did a significant amount of reading. he read the economics books and many books he'd get off my book shelves and he was very challenging, but i considered that healthy, not unhealthy. >> so how are you guys going to live together now? how is this going to work out? >> well, just so you know, i told people at work, if i don't have to cook, that's all. >> my response to that was, i think i'm pretty lucky that i don't have to rely on his cooking, so. no, i think we'll get along well. in fact, i lived with my father in the summers when he was in congress and i was in high school. so it won't be the first time we've actually shared the condo. but i think he scratched his head a little bit when he found out that his 47-year-old son was coming back to live with him. most people are ready for their college kids to get out of the house, and now he's got a 47-year-old coming back. so we'll see how it goes.
12:47 am
>> congressman paul, i mean, obviously you're incredibly proud of your son for his win. are you concerned about what happens now? i mean, are you concerned about, you know, kind of the washington brawls that occur and watching him get, you know, battered about, as will inevitably happen? as a dad, is that going to be a hard thing for you to watch? >> i think it will get easier as time goes on. i think how he was treated right after the primary race wasn't much fun for him, or me. because it was pure demagoguery. you know, in a political sense. so that wasn't very good, but i think on true issues, you know, discussions and all, i think it would be less so than in these campaigns. campaigning is a rough and tumble business. and i think that would -- i think that's sort of in the past now. >> congressman paul, did you ever expect that your son, that rand paul would follow in your footsteps? >> yeah, i suspected that for
12:48 am
the last six months at least. no, not two years ago -- two years ago, you know, he was going out and giving a few speeches during the presidential campaign. >> well, he was helping to run your campaign. >> the other day i said,, you know -- yeah, he was helping with my campaign. and then i thought back, you know, who would have ever thought, two years ago, with him being up in new hampshire and doing a little emceeing for us, that in two years he'd be in the senate. no, i don't think very many people thought so. i'm not even sure if he thought, you know, in two years, i'm going to be in the senate. politics is a lot of luck and timing and things come together. his timing was right, the events were right, the tea party people were there. and sometimes if you don't take advantage of that, you don't have a political career. >> congressman, last time you were asked this question, you said there was about a 50/50 chance you might be running for president again in 2012. are those odds still about where you'd put it?
12:49 am
>> yeah, those are very good odds. if you want me to be wishy-washy on that answer, it is 50/50. and it is true, people ask me if i think about it a lot, and i say, all the time, because i get asked it all the time. but, yes, i would give it very serious consideration, and i know all the pros and cons, but i do listen to many supporters that seem to be so sincere and interested in what i've been doing over the many years and they've responded to the monetary issues and the foreign policy issues and the personal liberty issues. and because the young people responding and giving the encouragement, i am really thinking very seriously about it. but at this time, i cannot give an answer. it's still 50/50. >> do you know who you think would be the biggest challenger you have in the race? sarah palin, for instance, do you think she's going to run? >> probably not. it looks like she's enjoying herself a whole lot right now. so i don't know whether she'd run. but i would think i'd consider every one of them a pretty big challenge, because, you know,
12:50 am
i'm involved in a revolution. i want revolutionary ideas. i want to return our country to the original roots of individual liberty. so everyone that i know of, republican democrats, in many ways, they represent the status quo. you know, they don't get excited about the federal reserve. they don't get excited about bringing troops home from japan. they don't get excited about reducing the government by 50, 60 or 70% and letting college kids get out of social security. they would all fit the position of the status quo and the supporters i have know that we're talking about something different. >> representative rand paul, and thank you very much. up next on a lighter note, what you don't know about piers morgan. he's take over the time slot in two weeks. we'll meet him tonight. where the best potatoes come from. the best potatoes? idaho.
12:51 am
idaho! idaho. [ male announcer ] and how do you know you're getting idaho potatoes? well, uh... um... [ male announcer ] not all potatoes come from idaho. so if you want the best, you have to do one important thing. always look for the grown in idaho seal. i knew that. i knew that. [ male announcer ] look for the grown in idaho seal. ihost: could switching to or m insuranceu fifteen percent dochuck wo ihost: could switching to or m insuranceu fifteen percent it chucking my wd!ang woodk, ihost: could switching to or m insuranceu fifteen percent
12:52 am
has the biggest hotel deals we're offering the big deal guarantee. book a hotel with name your own price and if you can find a lower published price anywhere else we'll match it and pay you $25. book now and save up to 60% on hotels. only at priceline. [ malhis day starts thwith his arthritis pain.. that's breakfast with two pills. the morning is over, it's time for two more pills. the day marches on, back to more pills. and when he's finally home... but hang on; just two aleve can keep arthritis pain away all day with fewer pills than tylenol. this is steven, who chose aleve and 2 pills for a day free of pain. and get the all day pain relief of aleve in liquid gels.
12:53 am
12:54 am
two weeks from tonight on january 17th at 9:00 p.m. eastern, cnn will premiere a nightly program called "piers morgan tonight." he brings a new voice and approach to television. a lot of you know him as the judge on "america's got talent." but he's an journalist. we'll meet him and find out what kind of guy he is and what makes him tick and what he's planning. here's part one of my interview. i don't know if you saw jon stewart when he was on cnn. i want to play something he said. >> i think they made a brilliant choice by bringing in a british guy no one's heard of. i think that is -- when i'm thinking about throating a sinking ship, what do i want to bring on it?
12:55 am
the guy people are going to tune in and say -- who's that? and why is he speaking so funny? >> what did you think when you heard that. >> last night david letterman did the same thing. some guy we've never heard of. you're clearly at the cutting ledge of pop culture. ""america's got talent"" has been number one for five years. >> i saw on an commercial you want your interviews to be a little dangerous? what does that mean. >> a little edgy and -- i don't want to terrorize guests. you want get anybody. i want people to feel like they've had a warm, entertaining and amusing and revealing experience both as a guest and a viewer. but i want to have a sense of unpredictability. i want to feel like there's energy in the room. a bit of -- it could go anywhere. not in a nasty way but in an entertaining and surprising way. >> you're very well known in england for your interview shows and your journalism.
12:56 am
not so much. here you're none for. >> judging the pigs. >> the best korea tear yeah i get that. i've judged 11 pigs in "britain's got talent" and "america's got talent." and when i pig comes out now i'm like, i'm your man. >> first of all, how did you become a judge on talent shows? i'm not saying you don't have talent but i take it you don't sing. >> i don't sing. >> do you dance? >> i don't dance. >> at least not publicly. >> i do sing and dance. >> but not publicly. >> but not to a level i'd be comfortable judging myself. >> how did you get to be a judge? >> simon cowell. he recognized that interesting thing. if you're a newspaper editor of a big british tabloid daily newspaper where it's all pressure and ferocious cat fight with the other papers you basically have to be pretty quick witted and you have to have a sense of humor because it gets dark.
12:57 am
you've got to be able to spot talent and nurture it because you're always looking to promote the hot new thing in your newspaper and be right about it so you don't back a turkey. and i think you've got to be very judgemental and pin opinionated. >> and you're going to continue judging for "britain's got talent?" >> i gave that up but that was the show that discovered susan boyle. ♪ i dreamed a dream of time gone by ♪ >> you have these amazing moments on these shows when you see someone like susan, a 47-year-old spinster from a tiny little village and now she's second number one. >> how set up was that? when susan boyle -- >> not at all.
12:58 am
hand on heart, absolutely, we didn't know what was coming at all. simon is quite right about that. if you know, the surprise won't look genuine and the fact that we were all mocking her. when susan boyle said, i'm going to sing "i dreamed a dream" we were like -- oh, my god, this is going to be a total train wreck and we were laughing and mocking and the audience joins in and then this poor woman from this scottish village who actually has an incredible voice and talent is getting laughed at by 3,000 people and three smart aleck judges. ♪ without a doubt, that was the biggest surprise i have had in
12:59 am
three years on this show! and then the moment she sang, you see our faces, frozen. two kinds of horror. one that we didn't recognize her talent and two, that we now know is going to be a huge clip for the the rest of our lives of us mocking this amazing woman and it's that realizization that concentrates your mind so when i get people coming on that are not perhaps your standard-looking pop star i sit this resolutely, just in case. >> do you watch reality shows in america? >> yes. i'm on one. i'm on one of the biggest ones but i love american drama. i love madmen. love "madmen." i loved "west wing." i loved "the sopranos." i live the brilliantly-made drama with a dash of style and drama to it. i do like great reality. i like doing the "the apprentice" with donald trump. >> he called you --

0 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on